A Brief History of Our Company
Melia Smith & Jones was established as a partnership in Leeds in 1987 by Brian Melia, Mike Smith and Steve Jones, to provide a consultancy service in the fields of structural and civil engineering. Mike's retirement in August 2000 led to the formation of Melia Smith & Jones Ltd by Brian and Steve.
In September 2002, Alex Bell and Neil Chambers were appointed as co-directors with Steve and Brian in order to both reinforce the firm's commitment to Client support at a senior level and to place the firm in a strong position for planned long-term growth. In 2012 Ben Mabbs re-joined the firm, and in 2015 Fred Higham joined us, both as Associates to strengthen our capability in the building structures sector. Brian Melia retired in September 2015 and Ben Mabbs took over as a full Director.
The Directors and Associates have worked closely over the years with a team of dedicated engineers and technicians with a broad range of experience. A wide variety of work is undertaken, a significant proportion of which is regular, repeat business from an established client base as well as welcoming opportunities from new clients.
The firm occupies a small office building, a stone-built former stables with 2000 sq feet of floor space which MSJ renovated and refurbished in 1992 for their own use.
For a brief summary of our services please browse our brochure.
Curriculum Vitae - Directors
- Steve Jones B.Eng., C.Eng., M.I.Struct.E.
- Graduated Sheffield University 1978
- Alex Bell B.Sc., C.Eng., M.I.Struct.E.
- Graduated Teesside Polytechnic 1986
- Neil Chambers B.Sc., C.Eng., M.I.C.E.
- Graduated Leeds University 1980
- Ben Mabbs B.Eng., C.Eng., M.I.Struct.E.
- Graduated Leeds University 1996
Curriculum Vitae - Associates
- Fred Higham M.Eng., C.Eng., M.I.Struct.E.
- Graduated Manchester UMIST 2002
Curriculum Vitae - Consultant
- Brian Melia B.Sc., C.Eng., M.I.Struct.E.
- Graduated Leeds University 1973